Are you building a new car wash? Buying a car wash? We'll help you get it right!
Here are some important things to think about when you’re starting a car wash:
- Location – does your site have a lot of traffic? Is it near a shopping mall, restaurants, gas stations, or any other businesses that would attract customers?
- Layout – have you thought about the flow at your site? Where will cars drive in, where will they exit? Are you going to have vacuums after the tunnel or before?
- Car wash format – operators around the country are converting or building express exterior car washes. What format are you going to choose?
- Employees – Who will work there? How many staff members do you plan on hiring? Will you be the manager or should you hire someone else to do that?
As a car wash owner, you have a lot of decisions to make, and they all have their own impact on your business and customer experience.
- Choosing a distributor
- Car wash equipment
- Point-of-sale software/hardware
- Running an unlimited program – how will you validate members?
- License plate recognition vs. RFID tags (more on that below)
- How many wash packages will you offer?
- Water reclaim
Running an unlimited program: RFID or LPR?
How will you validate unlimited members at the point-of-sale? Although the industry has been predominantly using RFID tags for years, there’s been a significant shift towards license plate recognition. License plate recognition (LPR) is used by a range of state and federal agencies, including the police and the Department of Transportation. Now that it’s proven to be a reliable way of verifying the identity of a car, the technology is seeing more widespread commercial uses like in car washes.